Project: Town of Cooleemee Water Treatment Plant
Background: Upgrade of 110 year old water treatment plant including pipe gallery painting. The problem was that the pipes were wet in the gallery with drips and leaks. The constant water made it challenging to clean and prepare the pipes for coating. Using Sherwin-Williams Euronavy product, CMT was able to coat the wet pipes.
Surface Preparation and Coating Application
- Pressure wash using a sodium bicarbonate injection to prepare the surface
- Hand and power tool cleaned to remove rust, surface contaminants per SSPC SP-2 and SP-3
- Apply primer coat using Sherwin-Williams Euronavy 301 Epoxy (4-6 mils DFT)
- Caulked all nuts, bolts, flanges, brackets and places where the metal meets the concrete
- Applied 2 coats Sherwin-Williams Corothane 1 Aliphatic Polyurethane (2-4 mils DFT)
Completed: April 2011
Special items to note:
The contractor partnered with the County to divert the dripping water so the pipes could get painted. The County fixed the leaks where possible; CMT took advantage of an unexpected power outage to water blast using calcium bicarbonate..
Testimonial from client:
“This project is a true success story resulting from diligent surface preparation, superior workmanship, and the use of the newest coatings technology on the market. The staff and I couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome!”
- Johnny Lambert, Public Utilities Director